BACKGROUND OF FORMATION HISTORY
The National Choir of Malaysia is an internationally standard choir group formed in 1991 by the Ministry of Cultural, Arts and Tourism which is now known as the Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture.
This group was launched on 20th July 1992 by YAB Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamed the then Prime Minister of Malaysia at the Tun Hussein Onn Hall, Putra World Trade Centre (PWTC). Since 2004 until now, the Malaysian National Choir is coordinated by the National Department for Culture and Arts (JKKN).
The group of 50 members consisting of people from various backgrounds such as students, NGOs, as well as government and private sector professionals.
Apart from championing the nation and Malaysian traditional songs, the group is also capable of singing classical, contemporary and pop songs in various languages such as English, Mandarin, Tamil, German, Italian, French, Spanish, and also Latin. The following is the chronology of the attachments of the National Choir of Malaysia to respective agencies:
|1991 – 2003||Music Art Development Branch, National Theatre|
|1999 - 2004||Palace of Culture|
|2004 – 2005||Cultural Division (KeKKWa)|
|2005 till Present||National Department for Culture and Arts|
- Exposure and experience in choral music arena for choir members and a part of National Choir of Malaysia profile.
- To provide an opportunity for Malaysians to experience a world class professional choir performance and to increase the number of fans and choir art lovers especially the young generation.
- To increase the appreciation towards choir art and creating a creative society.
- To become the catalyst and drive for the society towards the formation of quality choir groups.
In the effort to implement the National Choir of Malaysia programme, the department engaged the services of a few tutors and production experts who are professional, creative, committed and authoritative to guide the National Choir of Malaysia.
In general, the list of members for the National Choir of Malaysia consist of:
- NCM Director/Co-Ordinator – 1 Person
- Vocal Master – 1 Person
- Conductor – 1 Person
- Pianist – 1 Person
- Assistant Conductor – 2 Persons
- Members of the National Choir of Malaysia – 20 to 30 persons
Note: Depending on the requirements and total allocation of the department.
- The National Choir had held various series of performance nationally and internationally, among them were the performance for the opening and closing ceremony of the XVI Commonwealth Games in Kuala Lumpur, the performance with the National Symphonic Orchestra at the Kuala Lumpur Music Festival, the National Choir of Malaysia Concert at Victoria Hall, Singapore, the performance with “The Song Company” from Australia, and in 2015 through a Friendly performance in conjunction with the 4th Bali International Choir Festival in Bali, Indonesia. The National Choir of Malaysia also held a performance in conjunction with Finals of Joget Planet on 16 February 2014 at the Auditorium Perdana Angkasapuri and a special performance at the National Banquet celebrating the Honorable Barack Obama the President of the United States of America on 26 April 2014 at the National Palace.
- The group were also involved in a few series of the National Choir of Malaysia tours throughout Malaysia started in 1995 with performances in Ipoh and Penang. In 2006, the Tour Series was extended to Sabah and Sarawak along with the Ministry of Cultural, Arts and Heritage Ambassador of Nation’s Songs, Zainal Abidin at the IPTA’s Tour Concert “Love Peace” which was held at UiTM and University of Malaya, the Biggest “Flash Mob” Orchestra performance in Malaysia, the Launching of Kuala Lumpur Festival, 1Malaysia Public Speaking Finals, the 50th Anniversary Concert of the RTM Orchestra, His Majesty the Thirteenth Yang Di-Pertuan Agong Menjunjung Kasih Concert at the Panggung Sari Theatre at Palace of Culture and many more.
- The great success of the National Choir of Malaysia Love Peace Concert in 2009, 2010 and 2011 has introduced Malaysian people to the first pop concept choir in Malaysia. The National Choir continued to shine through a series of concerts such as Music Macker, No Wrong Notes, Dir Concert … the National Choir of Malaysia, Reaching for the Starts Concert by the Youth Choir and the Youth Symphonic 2012, the National Youth Choir Tour Concert 2013, the National Choir of Malaysia Concerts: A Musical Journey of Theatre & Film, Classique in 2014, WARNA Concert, the “9” Ultimate Collection of the National Choir Concert and, National Choir of Malaysia Showcase 2019: Music Therapy – ‘Heart Doctor’.
- Apart from that, the National Choir of Malaysia had also performed in conjunction with the 26th ASEAN Summit Meeting Gala Night on 26 April 2015 at the Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre. The group were also invited to perform in conjunction with the ASEAN Day Celebrations on 8 August 2015 at the Pavilion shopping mall, ASEAN InterParliamentary Assembly (AIPA) Opening Ceremony on 8 September 2015 (Tuesday) at the ShangriLa Hotel, Kuala Lumpur and 27th ASEAN Summit Meeting Gala Dinner Ceremony on 21 November 2015. The group were also given the honour to record the ASEAN theme song “ASEAN Way”, and were invited to make a success of the Give us a Moment (Tunggu Sekejap) programme.
The year 2015 was a sweet moment for twenty-four (24) members of the National Choir of Malaysia to excel successfully in the 4th Bali International Choir Festival organized by Bandung Choral Society in co-operation with the International Federation for Choral Music (IFCM), which was held on 29 July until 2 August 2015 at the Sanur Paradise Hotel, Bali, Indonesia. At that festival, the National Choir of Malaysia have made Malaysia proud by winning three (3) gold medals and became the champions for Group Vocals category, Mixed Choir Category and Group Category Championship as well as qualifying for the Grand Prix 4th Bali International Choir Festival along with twelve (12) other groups from one hundred twenty eight (128) participants.
The selection of tutors and members involved directly in the National Choir of Malaysia need to fulfill 2 main conditions which are;
- Having the talent and skill with certified academic qualifications and experience based on the participation and contribution in the art field which they are in.
- Having the high level of commitment towards the implementation of the National Choir of Malaysia.
- Having a broad experience with at least 3 year in the music/voice art field.
- Grade 5 minimum qualification (ABRSM) in theory and practical field or its equivalent.
- Having the ability to sing notes efficiently.
- Good in impromptu singing.
- Have a pleasant tone of voice.
- Malaysian Citizen
- Having academic qualification in music and vocal arts from public or private higher learning institution recognized by the government.
- Physically Healthy.
- Never convicted of any crimes.
Note: NCM members intake will be done from time to time based on the programme and performance requirements. Notification will be made at the department’s official social sites.
Division To Contact
Culture Arts Enhancement Division
National Department for Culture and Arts
Level 30, TH Perdana Tower
Lot 1001, Jalan Sultan Ismail
50250 Kuala Lumpur
Telephone No.: 03-2614 8200 / 8221
Fax No. : 03 2697 1067
Email : psnb[at]jkkn.gov.my